Vend saatis mulle sellise 'nimekirja'. Olin midagi taolist ka kellegi teise blogist lugenud aga see venna saadetud on veel pikem ainult et siit puudub see
00. You teach a non-Estonian speaker the word "Tänan" before "Aitäh"
seda tegin ma ka oma mehega kuna tema äitah kõlas rohkem 'aita' moodi välja.
PS. Mitte inglis keelt oskavad inimesed peavad paluma kellegil seda tõlkida kui tahavad sellest aru saada –pean silmas eelkõige oma ema
You know you are Estonian when...
1. You use the word 'normal' if something is ok.
2. When visiting friends abroad you bring along a box of Kalev chocolate.
3. You attended a song festival at least once either as a performer or as a spectator.
4. You know that going to the sauna is 80% about networking and 20% about washing
5. You are nationalistic about Skype (it is actually an Estonian company)
6. 'Kohuke' belongs to your menu
7. You declare your taxes on the internet like all modern people
8. You actually believed for a while that Latvians had 6 toes per foot when you heard that as a child
9. You are convinced that Estonia is very strategically located
10. You spent at least one midsummer in Saaremaa, Hiiumaa or one of the smaller islands
11. You can quote films like "Viimne reliikvia" and "Siin me oleme"
12. You spit three times around your left shoulder for good luck
13. Words like "veoauto", "täieõiguslik" or "jää-äär" sound perfectly pronouncable to you
14. You like bold statements, such as this one... ;-)
15. There can never be too much sarcasm
16. You can at times drink hot tea to hot food
17. You are disappointed that Jaan Kross never got the Nobel prize in literature
18. It would not be suprising for English-speakers to find your name naughty (Peep, Tiit, Andres [sounds like undress]) or hippy (Rein, Rain)
19. You have been to Finland
20. You say 'Noh' (sounds like NO) even when you speak English, just to confuse people
21. You know the lyrics to "Mutionu" and "Rongisõit"
22. You would never mistaken Kreisiraadio for a radio station
23. You would agree that wife-carrying is a real sport (at least as long as Estonians are winning)
24. Your best friend's girlfriend is your English teacher's daughter and they live next door to your grandparents, who were colleagues with your advisor, who is friends with your...
25. You think that any beverage below 20% is non-alcoholic
26. You check the thermometer before going out
27. You look in both directions before crossing the road, even if it's a one-way street
28. You grin very mysteriously when people ask about your national food
29. Even if you find the music by Veljo Tormis and Arvo Pärt not exactly easy-listening, you think they are great messengers for the country
30. You put ketchup inside your pasta (french-cooked gourmet faire la fine manger pasta) in order to not to get the ketchup-bowl dirty
31. You cheated on your wife/husband at least ten times but you still think you're in a good marriage.
32. When someone asks you "where is Estonia?" you quickly reply that it's located in Northern Europe close to Finland...
33. Your grandmother's "purse" is an old plastic bag that has been reused several times
34. Sour cream tastes good with everything
35. A foreigner speaks to you in broken horrible Estonian and you go on and on about how wonderful their Estonian is compared to "the Russians'"
36. You have ever worn or seen anyone wear "karupüksid"
37. You have heard the phrase "Estonians are slow" at least once
38. Kui sa saad aru, mis siia kirjutatud on
39. You find yourself continually ignoring the gender in other languages
40. You say 'kurat' as at least every second word
41. You consider running to the shop at 19.50 on Friday evening to buy some booze, a sport
42. You are a true Estonian when you come from Tallinn, because if you are from Tallinn you think Tallinn IS Estonia and that's true of course that Tallinn is Estonia
43. When someone says "Estonians are so beautiful" you answer almost without emotions "I know"
44. You have tried to explain people that "kauboi" is actually a word in Estonian
45. You don't think that terviSEKS is a funny word
46. You don't find the Estonian equivalent to the expressions "twelve months", "1002" and "12 buses" remotely funny or rude
47. Even though you never met Toots, Teele and Kiir you know exact what they are like
48. You grin when someone you know says that they bought a BMW
49. You know how to end the sentence "Kui Arno isaga koolimajja jõudis..."
50. Verivorst tastes great (at least once a year at Christmas time)
51. You want truth and justice (tõde ja õigus) to rule the world
52. You think that the combination blue-black-white is cheerful
53. You know that love for 3 oranges is not a weird sex thing and the phrase "x 6 me" makes absolutely sense
54. For you it is totally normal to eat food gone sour (hapupiim, hapukurk, hapukapsas, hapukoor)
55. A language should have at least 14 cases
56. You know the moves to the song "Põdra maja"
57. You consider "Õllepruulija" an unofficial national anthem
58. Everyone in your family has pictures from funerals
59. You are so proud of every Estonian that you correct foreigners who say that the population is 1 million, not 1.3 million as it actually is
To be continued...